May 4, 2009

America: Divided We Fall

Posted by Judi Lynn Lake at 10:10

Ahh… again, it happened.

I was tired when a well-meaning friend called to ask, “why are you wasting so much time blogging on the issues that you do?” Apparently my [Christian] friend is “offended” that I am against the Obama administration… after all, he “can’t do any worse than Bush did….”

[What I hear:]
“Judi, it doesn’t matter whether you speak against abortion – people are going to get one whether Obama is President or not! Give him a chance…”
Oh me oh my, this administration has certainly created tension with many of my [Christian] friends….

***

If we, as Christians, are who we profess to be then why is there so much strife and division amongst us?

For those of us who have chosen to become a “voice” for righteousness, we must be certain our cause is for the Lord and not ourselves. As humans, it is easy to become consumed with “who is right” but, as Christians, we must remember the glory must go to Him and not us.

And…

we must remember that God is the same God of yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I have personally chosen to remove myself from the country’s upheaval because I do not want to be angry. Is there reason for anger? You bet, but I have to remember who is in control and nothing will change until hearts change.

Am I naïve? I don’t think so. As I have written, I am convinced that America’s healing will only occur with repentance. America’s danger far exceeds a turbulent economy and liberalism – America is rapidly selling her soul to the devil at the cost of our children, and many are “buying into” the charismatic charms of our leader.

The polls were in once Obama was elected. Sadly, many Christians compromised their beliefs for “short-term” solutions. [For me] the writing was on the wall beginning with Obama’s stand on abortion. Right is right and wrong is wrong and it is naïve to think that this administration’s beliefs would change after the election. Our leaders are “power-seekers” and it is my belief that America is in the fight of her life against the principalities of darkness:
12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. —Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)
I especially am convinced that now is the time for all Christians to unite regardless of differences and be reconciled with each other. Sometimes it’s easy and sometimes it ain’t but let’s look at Matthew 5:22-24:
“But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift.”
***

The gospels were written to preserve a record of the lived faith of the apostolic church. Not every saying or deed of Jesus was set down in writing (John 20:30; 21:25). Rather, the gospel evangelists selected those teachings of Jesus that provided guidance for the ongoing life of the church. The teachings of Jesus that deal with relationships should be understood as instructions for how Christians should relate to one another within the Church.

The teachings of Jesus place a great stress upon unity among His followers. At the Last Supper, Jesus prayed for his disciples, “that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent Me” (John 17:21). Their unity was to be so profound that it would be a sign authenticating Jesus’ mission from the Father.

Jesus not only prayed for unity among His disciples, but He instructed them about how their unity was to be preserved. He told them -- and He tells – that there must be no limit to forgiveness: “not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times” we must forgive a brother or sister who wrongs us (Matthew 18:22). We are to slow in judging others, paying more attention to the log in our own eye than to the speck in another’s eye (7:1-5).

It’s all too easy to let seeds of division grow in our midst. We can notice that others do not live out their faith in exactly the same way we do and feel that they are somehow less committed than we are. We can mistrust those we are not in steady contact with, simply because we don’t understand the reasons for their actions. But Jesus’ words to us are as plain as they were to John: “John answered, ‘Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.’ But Jesus said to him, ‘Do not stop him; for whoever is not against you is for you” (Luke 9:49-50).

If we are aware of a conflict with another, we must interrupt even the important duty of worship to bring about unity again. Jesus seems to make others the judges of our actions: if someone has something against us, it is up to us to take the first step to be reconciled.

The unity of the Church is something we should be striving for and, actually, are responsible for. If the words of Jesus are to make a difference in our lives, they must guide us in our relationships with each other, warning us of the perils of disunity, commanding us to repair disunity whenever it occurs.

If we are to be true “Ambassadors for Christ” let us be conscious of our relationships and begin to ‘let go and let God.’ Let’s face it, America, ‘divided we fall’ and we have a mighty God that America surely needs right now.

###

The following video, Let Go and Let God, courtesy of You Tube.

14 comments on "America: Divided We Fall"

Slava on 5/4/09, 11:12 AM said...

Nice christian website! Thank you for your work for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Mac Ellis said...

That song is simply awesome. We need to take the words to heart. I, like you, believe that unless the USA comes to repent to God, this country will not stand, for taking a stand against God, as our this country appears to do, is foolish. We, as Christians have to fill the gap and ask God for his mercy and to put off judging us, then be about HIS work, we have to show people in the way that we live, the love of God and his grace and mercy.

Carol on 5/4/09, 2:31 PM said...

I am often taken back by the rational reasons for voting for Obama, me I think they sold out. I too think we should come together but I know my christian friends that voted that way, would never say they are wrong. So like you I pray and talk when asked and I never back down. God Bless and let us God will help.

Miriam Scott said...

Great topic today!!!-I've atempted rallying people into repentance to no avail..yes, they dislike BO's policies but they all seem too busy!!!!.....they are Christians, but, sadly, too busy...........so, I slid into resignation (not really a happy place).......I believe the LORD has tenderly asked me to surrender........and so, for today, I surrender....trusting once again, that HE'S the BUS DRIVER and I'm the passenger........humbly in my seat.....and greeting others as they board (like you Judy, Darla et al).......and Praising GOD......\o/ \o/ \o/..........

Darla D. said...

Wow, words of wisdom. A timely word from God almighty! Yes I say daily that America's people, God's people need to repent....it is only there from that place....humbly in his presence that healing can begin. The scripture from Ephesians....interesting because myself and Debra both posted that since last night on the forum wall....what is God telling us?

He is saying...My Children, call upon my name, call upon my power, My love, my mercy, my grace, my unmerited favor....open your heart, repent and the windows of heaven will open before you and pour out rivers of adundant blessings. My children, I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. No thing is here that I in fact did not create...I am the make and founder, I am your God and I am still on the throne. I see what you do not see and I know what you do not yet know. I will direct your path and lead you on the path of rightousness...because I am your Father....I am your husband, I am your friend, I am I AM. Do not doubt my presence, do not doubt the power of your prayers as they leave your lips I had already heard them. As your think on it I am already moving heaven and earth on your behalf my beloved children my beloved bride. Stand firm and draw your strength from ME. Spread my light and shine it for the world to see....I will draw you unto me and bless all the days of your life. Be not weary, be not dismayed but be vigilent and virtuous, and compasssionate and Love as I have loved you...ever mindful that my love is the greatest gift you may ever give and my love will break down walls that divide a nation......Let it be done let it be so....

Carol S. Allen said...

Amen...Judi...Everything in this Post is True and Scripturally-Backed....God Bless you...:).....

Tracy Andries said...

I have already let go and let God. Fantastic song!!!

Dave Fouser said...

It is oh so easy to be dragooned by the constant mantra of "the economy". I remember when the phrase was this way - "It's the economy, stupid!" as though anyone not comprehending this concept was truly without sense. It might well be said this time also except for this fact - it wasn't true then and it isn't true now!!
Please allow me to use the following botanical analogy: the average viewer looks at a bloom on a flower plant and seeing it wilt, thinks it's only a matter of time when another bloom will come from that same plant. The horticulturist looking at the same plant may well realize that because of a disease or worm, the plant itself is doomed and the wilting bloom merely a sign of the demise of the plant! So it is with the economy. Far more deadly than the evident downward spiral of our and the world's economy is the cultural demise on top of or in addition to the rejection of and loss of God not only by the culture at large but by the "body of Christ" his church!
Are you in a church which has rejected God's Word, the singing of Biblical, God-honoring songs and hymns, the prayers of Biblical, Spirit-led believers and the "making merchandise" of God's message? Are you hearing of the need of repentance, confession, restitution, and "going beyond the beginning elements of faith" into discipleship, service, ministering of your spiritual gifts, etc?
Critical as dual citizens of heaven and of this USA is being "salt and light"! Salt preserves, adds flavor, etc. and light - well it shows the way, reveals stumbling blocks allowing for their removal, provides guidance, etc. Are you "called to a ministry?" I don't mean a pulpit, a church, etc. I mean the pulpit of the workforce, salt and light at the ballot box, as a Counsel at large, a committee person, as Mayor, Town councilman, a Representative or Senator or even President!!
The fact that Christians have been AWOL in Hollywood accounts for the current deluge of filth from that same source that once provided wholesome entertainment. (Check out the films by Sherwood Baptist Church, Albany, GA - the Kendrick Bros. - Flywheel, Facing the Giants, and Fireproof with Kurt Cameron). Where is our next generation of Christian statesmen?? Reneging on the political arena leads us to our current state - led by the most Pro-Death individual to occupy the White House, surrounded by such people as the recipient of the Margaret Sanger Award, and rubber-stamped by a Congress of the same and soon to have a SCOTUS of like ilk- we are indeed to be most pitied, of all men most miserable; BUT for the fact we can and should serve a risen Savior.
May we as the early church be privileged to be enlisted in His Army, fighting under His Banner of Love, and if need be, to die never recanting, never compromising His principles, to live for others spiritual sake or to die, as Paul said, "which is gain!" knowing we go to our heavenly reward. Raise the standard - the eternal Way, Truth, and Life - Jesus Christ. Dave.

Emil J. Milano said...

For those of us who have chosen to become a “voice” for righteousness, we must be certain our cause is for the Lord and not ourselves. As humans, it is easy to become consumed with “who is right” but, as Christians, we must remember the glory must go to Him and not us.

And…

we must remember that God is the same God of yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Amen and Amen Judi, as usual you are right on the money with your insight and knowledge a true Blessing to God & country Ministries.
I look forward to every one of your postings.

Darla D. said...

Wow, words of wisdom. A timely word from God almighty! Yes I say daily that America's people, God's people need to repent....it is only there from that place....humbly in his presence that healing can begin. The scripture from Ephesians....interesting because myself and Debra both posted that since last night on the forum wall....what is God telling us?

He is saying...My Children, call upon my name, call upon my power, My love, my mercy, my grace, my unmerited favor....open your heart, repent and the windows of heaven will open before you and pour out rivers of adundant blessings. My children, I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. No thing is here that I in fact did not create...I am the make and founder, I am your God and I am still on the throne. I see what you do not see and I know what you do not yet know. I will direct your path and lead you on the path of rightousness...because I am your Father....I am your husband, I am your friend, I am I AM. Do not doubt my presence, do not doubt the power of your prayers as they leave your lips I had already heard them. As your think on it I am already moving heaven and earth on your behalf my beloved children my beloved bride. Stand firm and draw your strength from ME. Spread my light and shine it for the world to see....I will draw you unto me and bless all the days of your life. Be not weary, be not dismayed but be vigilent and virtuous, and compasssionate and Love as I have loved you...ever mindful that my love is the greatest gift you may ever give and my love will break down walls that divide a nation......Let it be done let it be so....

Laura on 5/11/09, 9:45 PM said...

I'll have to revisit your blog when I have more time, but I totally agree with your article "America We Fall". Obama's stand on abortion is what turned me off of him. In one day, he un-did everything Bush had worked so hard on banning partial birth abortions. So sad....

Cruiselife & Co on 5/16/09, 1:15 PM said...

These seems to be the topic of the blogosphere right now. America is failing us in so many ways.

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) on 5/16/09, 6:27 PM said...

If we, as Christians, are who we profess to be then why is there so much strife and division amongst us?The Constitution...

Wenx on 5/17/09, 4:15 PM said...

I love it that you speak your mind and have the audacity to stand for what you believe in. These are great insights and I believe I have found a kindred soul at last. This is the best religious site I have encountered so far, you lead and I'll follow....God bless!.

 

Life As It Happens Copyright 2009 Judi Lynn Lake. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Image by Tadpole's Notez