February 12, 2009

Which Jesus Do We Follow?

Posted by Judi Lynn Lake at 12:32
I have skimmed through various posts on the Internet that have clearly misunderstood [some] Christians who have chosen to take on an “activist” role within society. Since I can only speak for myself, I would like to share some thoughts on this vulnerable topic.

Within a very short time, I have witnessed an extremely “dysfunctional” society arise within believers. Since the election, I have observed relationships dissolve and hatred spew louder than thunder.

I have heard the term “racist” used more than one calls out for candy.

And I have seen scripture used for convenience.

For those who stand up for Truth many shake their heads in anger while “the accepted” skirt on issues tainted with a “worldly” perspective.

To quote Marvin [Gaye], “What’s goin’ on?”

Recently, I penned an article entitled, “Choosing To Be Politically “In-Correct.” Within it, I wrote,
“…At the very moment I am writing this, I think of the division within our country as well as our new administration. Certainly being “pro-life” immediately alienates me from this new administration…

… In order to bring about a transformation in our nation from “a culture of death to a culture of life,” we must first restore our own personal Christian identities and bravely live our lives in such a way that will bear true witness to what we profess to believe in and live by.

We must be conscious that the moral framework of our beliefs hardly ever fit the ideologies of any political party. Our values are often not "politically correct" but, as true believers, it is not only our right, but our responsibility to speak out on moral issues that go against our God’s teachings….”
To my surprise, I've received a tremendous amount of affirming e-mails from, of all places, the middle east. The wonder of the Internet is amazing: with a click of a button, the world immediately becomes your audience!

Is there a “motive” in my writing? No, I pen personal thoughts mainly to purge my own soul. If there are responses or not, it is not within my control. I have never written to convince anyone of anything.

I am, however, called more and more to speak against what is unacceptable to Truth. To assume that a Christian is to remain silent is absurd. Amidst our “anything goes society” there is an extremely thin line between what is deemed right and wrong and I believe it is important, especially in these days, for Christians to take a stand after all…

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

In other words, within Christianity there are no “greys.” If we do not speak up, then we are accomplices that make us just as guilty as the guilty.

To think the division we are experiencing is limited to politics is naïve. Jesus clearly speaks to us when He says, "Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." (Luke 12:51).

Before Holy Communion, Catholics pray, "Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles: I leave you peace, my peace I give you." So when we read, "Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division," we know that Jesus is making reference to what is called a “false” peace, one in which relationships are not harmonious. Jesus will have nothing to do with such unions -- He will split them apart out of love and for the sake of truth.

In another article, I had written, “…The human condition that we are steeped in is ambiguous. Choices, at times, have to be made that in fact cause division and pain. We need but note the work of the following Christians: Dietrich Bonhoeffer, involved in a plot to assassinate Hitler; Martin Luther King, Jr., in his ministry to secure human rights; Thomas Merton in his stand against nuclear war; Dorothy Day, who fought against the status quo that kept so many in radical poverty. All of them came to bring not peace, but division. These disciples of Christ fought for the big peace, the Kingdom of God.

God's word is a two-edged sword. God's word admonishes us in our sin; God's word consoles us in our desolation. God's Word -- Jesus -- is the divine instrument bringing us to life, even if, momentarily, our peace is disturbed. When Jesus looked across the night fire into Peter's eyes, we can feel the division of that glance. Unlike Judas who saw only his betrayal of Jesus, Peter saw within that gaze the eyes of compassion and forgiveness….”

I conclude with my opening question: “Which Jesus do we follow?”

©2009 Judi Lynn Lake.

###

The following video, “My Jesus – Todd Agnew/ Passion of the Christ,” courtesy of You Tube.

2 comments on "Which Jesus Do We Follow?"

Anonymous said...

you have a great site. It brings me hope.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great site. Your faith and devotion to truth is such a strong witness to the Lord and to life. Thank you Judy for making a safe haven for folks like me.
Angela

 

Life As It Happens Copyright 2009 Judi Lynn Lake. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Image by Tadpole's Notez