April 23, 2009

Nothing Is Impossible With God

Posted by Judi Lynn Lake at 08:23

This evening, I sit in the stillness of the evening still in shock that my dad is dying. Although to many, he’s “a silly old man of 86” his heyday proved him to be a strong, loving father.

He was my daddy; the man who could do anything and never complained. He protected me and taught me what mattered most in life.

It was “this silly old man” who taught me about unconditional love.

It was “this silly old man” who taught me about integrity.

It was “this silly old man” who taught me about God.

By profession, he was a cop and a darn good one. His shield number was 506 and everyone on “his beat” loved Jack. He was a fair cop but, Lord, did he love to lecture the kids who got in trouble. The joke of the time was that many would have preferred to be locked up rather than have to listen to my dad’s lectures. Those lectures never changed and would go on for hours…

He sleeps a lot now; the cancer has spread and he’s bleeding internally. I decide [for him] to have his remaining days at home without any surgery or chemo. Why bother? Let him be comfortable but I’m frustrated because there are no programs at present that can offer us help – he’s “not weak enough” and, he makes too much money.

Too much money? All his money is going out to nurses and the things he needs.

I am not sure how we will care for my dad; since the loss of my husband’s business our money is depleted, I’m exhausted beyond belief and am behind in everything. I cry out in anger to the Lord; then I just cry. I am not seeing a way…

Then I sense these words: “Nothing is impossible with God.”

I open my bible and immediately read, “The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have favor with God. An now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son and you will name him Jesus”… May said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.” (Luke 1:30-31, 34-37)

I repeat, “Nothing will be impossible with God” and, immediately, I am comforted.

***

The very mission of Jesus was rooted in the impossible from the moment of his conception in Mary’s womb. He was fully human but not merely fully human. He was the eternal Word of God become flesh in our midst. He knew hunger, thirst and fatigue, but He restored sight to the blind and hearing to the deaf and raised the dead to life. He did what was humanly impossible because as the Son of God He shared in God’s power.

Jesus not only did the impossible but asked the impossible as well. He healed the sick and told His followers to do likewise. He walked on water and invited Peter to join Him. He wasn’t teaching Peter a better way to cross the lake, but, rather, challenging his faith – his willingness to follow Jesus wherever he might beckon, however impossible that might seem.

Jesus asks that we imitate Him. But how can we love with His totally self-sacrificing love, if we do not in some sense become Him? Paul could boldly state, “It is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me” (Galatians 2:20). Yet such a transformation seems to be beyond us. It seems no more possible for Jesus to be born in us than it seemed possible to Mary for Him to be conceived in her. Even if we are willing to let Christ live in us, we know how stubbornly our self-will clings to life and how desperately it resists relinquishing itself for another. We know what Jesus is asking us to do, but nevertheless always ask, “Lord, how can this be?”

The answer we always receive is, “What is impossible for you is possible for God.”

When Peter began to doubt that he could safely walk on water and began to sink, Jesus rebuked him for his lack of faith. When a man full of both hope and doubt brought his afflicted son to Jesus to be cured, Jesus demanded faith of him, telling him, “All things can be done for the one who believes.” The man replied with a cry that many of us prayed ourselves, I believe, help my unbelief!” (Mark 9:23-24).

And when the disciples asked why they weren’t able to cast out a demon, Jesus answered that it was because they had so little faith: “Truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you: (Matthew 17:20).

The faith to move mountains, to many of us, seems to be a level of faith far beyond us. And we are right. Our faith, however, in cooperation with God’s power, is itself a gift from Him. God wants to give each of us the gift of faith so that the impossible might be done in our lives. He wants to overshadow us with His Holy Spirit so that Christ will live in us – a miracle far greater than moving mountains.

I understand now and will find a way through Him.

###

The following video, Ana Laura – Completely, courtesy of You Tube.

6 comments on "Nothing Is Impossible With God"

Patrick said...

Excellent blog, straight from the heart.

Diana said...

Amen, Judi. (wiping away the tears).

Sgt. Calvin Mills, P.I. said...

Excellent! Thank You & Amen!

Emil J. Milano said...

God Bless you Judi, through all your trials and tribulations you still manage to build up our Faith and edify the Body of Christ. What more can I say other then we Love you in Christ Jesus and you mean so much to this Body.

Losing a loved one is never easy but, to have the time to share with them before they go of all the good times and, to ask for forgiveness of the times we were unthoughtful or did something that caused them pain, is a Blessing from God. Even more so is to tell them what a wonderful job they did in rearing you and your siblings up and when they say no, I could have done much better, saying no, you did just right, makes their way home so much better.

I was Blessed enough of God to have that time with both my parents to tell them I loved them, asked for their forgiveness and thanked them for all they had done for me, before they went on to be with the Lord. What a cleansing it was and look of peace upon their faces that their son loved them, forgave them and thought the world of them, meant everything to them and made life worth living.

God is Good and Merciful, I hurt for so many that have no relationship with their parents or brothers and sisters due to pride.

God Bless

Annie said...

Judi,
Your witness is comforting and encouraging. My almost 100 yr old mother is in assisted living, (probably should be in nursing home, but she has been in same place for 7 years and they love her and still care for her). She is diabetic, has heart failure, is almost blind and almost deaf now, but her mind is still fairly good. Daily she asks the Lord, "Why am I still here?"

Anonymous said...

My dear sister Judi, it is right that we are saddened during times when our loved ones are dying and then pass on. However, as believers we must hold to the truth that Dad when called will go to be with the Lord. Now is the time to lift you dad in Divine Mercy, now while saddened know that his suffering is soon to be over. A new body awaits, an eternal life, shared with His loved ones who went before. In fact, the early church held a birthday party for the believer was reborn into a new life, wow. My prayers to you during this trying time. Hold to the faith.

 

Life As It Happens Copyright 2009 Judi Lynn Lake. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Image by Tadpole's Notez