November 24, 2008

When No Explanation Is Possible

Posted by Judi Lynn Lake at 23:32
Life, with its glories, indignities, hopes and quiet dreams, is the subject of the beloved song, “But the World Goes Round," by John Kander and Fred Ebb.

Similar to the song, no matter how bleak life seems at the moment, life can change instantly. In my own short lifetime, I have experienced many ‘miracles’ that have always given me hope in my ‘darkest hour’.


These ‘miracles’ have also given me faith.


For me, 1990 was my ‘big year’. I was 32 years old and an Art Director within the Music Industry. Life was hectic, exciting and immersed with relentless deadlines. I was dedicated and adapted easily to catnaps, which is probably why, to this day, I continue ‘to burn the midnight oil’.


The 1990s Music Awards were to be spectacular. The swing in music was shifting and I was given complete carte blanche as its Creative Director. Each presentation submitted was approved with fervor and praise. We were a passionate group with a mission for excellence. Fully aware that ‘you are only as good as your team,’ I was grateful for my exceptionally talented art department.


This was going to be ‘the year’ for The Music Awards.


Midway into the project, the Vice President, Diane, called me aside. “Judi, are you feeling alright? You look white as a ghost!"


“Oh, Diane, you know how it is this time of the year; it’s crazy and I can’t remember the last time I actually had a full night’s sleep. Don’t worry, I’m fine."

“Well, I am worried. I never use rank with you, but as a mother, I am telling you to go home and rest. The art department has all of your comps and whatever need’s your approval can be done by fax."


“No, Diane, we are almost done! I promise, once everything is completed, I will take a few days off, but not now, pl-e-e-eaze
…." My eyes pleaded with her to let me stay. Diane shook her head as she walked away from me. From the distance, I heard her mumble, “She has got to be the most stubborn person I have ever met!"

I laughed as I responded, “Yeah, yeah, Diane, and that’s why you pay me so well!"


Diane was perceptive because I was not well and I knew it. For the past month, I had been bleeding ceaselessly and was extremely weak. I was concerned but decided to take "the Scarlett O'Hara"
approach and ‘worry about it tomorrow’. I could not afford to get sick and my only focus was on finishing this project.

God had other plans for me, however. Three days before the Music Award’s ceremony, I was found lying on the floor in my office and unconscious.


With a pounding headache and needles in my arms, I awoke in a bed at the Long Island Jewish Hospital. Focusing my eyes, the first person I saw was my mother. Once our eyes met, I knew the prognosis was not good.


I had cancer and the doctors wanted to perform an immediate hysterectomy on me. I was a ‘DES’ baby and cervical cancer is common with all DES females.


I was overwhelmed but would not give my consent for anything until I prayed with someone and, that someone had to be my dear friend, Fr. Bob.


Ironically, as Fr. Bob and I spoke, my concern was not with myself but, rather, with my mother. I loved my mother with all of my heart and didn't want her to suffer through my illness. As Fr. Bob administered Holy Communion to me, I instantly felt soothing warmth fill me from head to toe. I began to cry and was immediately conscious of the Lord’s presence. I felt His love and somehow, I knew I was cleansed and healed.


Without saying a word, both Fr. Bob and I were fully aware of what happened. I calmly told him that I would not need surgery and that I was all right. The Lord is mightier than man.


The doctors tried to persuade me for surgery, but my faith knew what man could not know. My faith also knew, contrary to what the doctors had told me, that, one day, I would indeed be a mother.


Ten years later, and cancer free, I gave birth to a healthy 8-1/2 pound healthy baby girl. Stubbornly, I packed my little angel in the car and drove to the hospital where I was diagnosed with cancer ten years previously.

As Dr. Berkowitz
was holding ‘my miracle baby’, I calmly told him what I had heard many, many years ago as a child:
For those who believe in God, no explanation is needed; for those who do not believe in God, no explanation is possible."
©2007 Judi Lynn Lake. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

###

Judi Ly
nn Lake has kept up with leading edge business trends throughout her varied and successful career. She had already had her "15 minutes of fame" over and over again before starting her family. Judi and her family now reside in South Carolina, but, having been born and raised on Long Island, NY, it is clearly evident that she will always be a "New Yorker." Today, she successfully runs her own advertising agency which handles everything from logos, branding and package design while she continues to work closely with self-published authors from design to promotion. For more information, visit judilake.com

***

The following video, "Holy Is His Name", by John Michael Talbot courtesy of You Tube.


0 comments on "When No Explanation Is Possible"

 

Life As It Happens Copyright 2009 Judi Lynn Lake. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Image by Tadpole's Notez